How to Apply For k1 Visa and Get a Green Card Through Marriage(Updated 2021)
The K1 visa is for US citizens to apply for a fiance to the US to get married, also called a fiance visa or k-1 visa.
What Is a K-1 Visa?
K-1 Visa allows the engaged partner of a US citizen to enter the United States, then as long as the couple gets married within 90 days upon entry to the US with the K1 visa. The newly married spouse can then apply for permanent residence based on the marriage to the sponsored US citizen.
What are the requirements for K1 Visa?
Requirements are the petitioner of a K-1 visa must be a US citizen, they must be legally free to marry, and they must intend to marry within 90 days after the alien arrives in the US with the K1 visa. They have physically met each other in the last two years. The US citizen must meet the income requirement.
Apply for k1 visa eligibility:
1.Applicant is a U.S. citizen;
2.Both parties are legally eligible for marriage;
3.The two have met in the last two years.
If you want to get married, your fiancé or fiancé must get married within 90 days after arriving in the United States.
How long does it take for a K1 visa to get a green card?
It depends on the USCIS field office’s processing times. It varies from 3-24 months.
Apply for a k1 visa and get a green card through marriage, divided into 3 steps:
2.US Consulate in the local office apply for non-immigrant visa DS-160;
3.Apply for a green card application I-485 in the United States.
Firstly, Form I-129F apply for k1 visa to the USCIS
1. Form I-129F, Petition For Alien Fiancé(e).
2. Copies of citizenship documents, such as a valid U.S. passport, birth certificate or naturalization certificate
3. 1 citizen photo, 1 photo of fiancee or fiancé, US passport format 2 Inch * 2 Inch
4. Form G-1145
5. Check or Money Order for $535.00 application fee
6. Proof of meeting in the past two years (such as a photo of the two people, boarding pass, visa, immigration stamp, hotel records, etc.)
7. Letters of intent for the marriage of both parties. The two declared to be married within 90 days of entering the United States.
Tip: If either party has a marriage history, submit all the documents that prove that all past marriages have legally ended, such as a copy of a divorce certificate or a copy of a court decision, or a copy of a death certificate.
Mail to USCIS
1.For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
2501 South State Highway 121 Business
Lewisville, TX 75067
2.For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
P.O. Box 660151
Dallas, TX 75266
if you have K1 visa questions, contact a lawyer
Secondly, Embassy visa DS-160
Approved by USCIS, the National Visa Center generates a case number and transfers it to the local consulate for a visa. The local consulate will send you a letter, or email telling you how to complete the DS-160 visa application, your case number, how to make an appointment for a K1 visa interview, how to go to the designated hospital, or doctor to complete the medical examination before the interview, and what you need to bring for the interview checklist.
How much does a K1 visa cost? It cost around $1100 total to obtain a K1 visa. First, the U.S. citizen should file Form I-129F with USCIS to start the process. The filing fee of I-129F is $535. Upon approval of I-129F, your alien beloved should apply for a K1 visa at the U.S. consulate, which will cost a $265 nonimmigrant visa fee and up to a $300 medical exam fee.
Apply for the K1 visa checklist:
1. Appointment letter for interview, paper with case number;
2. DS-160 Visa Application Form Confirmation Page;
3. Passport, valid for more than 8 months;
4. Two photos;
5. Visa fee payment receipt;
6. Notarized birth certificate or notarized birth certificate;
7. Certificate of no criminal record issued within the last 1 year;
8. Original documents proving that all previous marriages have been legally terminated (if applicable);
9. Immigration medical report issued within the last 6 months;
10. Documents to prove the relationship between the two, such as group photos, chat records, etc;
11. The original I-134 financial guarantee form signed by a U.S. citizen, and relevant supporting documents, including a copy of the U.S. citizen’s 1040 for the most recent year, a copy of the W2, a copy of the most recent salary and income certificate, and a bank-issued certification account Original certificate of balance, etc.
How much income do I need to sponsor a K1 visa?
You must meet the most recent 100% federal poverty guideline. For people living in the states except for Hawaii and Alaska, the 100% federal poverty guideline for a two-person household is $17420.
If the k1 visa is passed, the visa officer will take the passport, and use it to make the visa. Usually 2-4 weeks after the interview, the immigration packet will be received, including the passport with the visa. The visa is valid for 6 months. After arriving in the United States, the immigration packet will be handed over to the border customs officer.
Tips: Answer the questions truthfully during visa, don’t tell lies, don’t cheat.
prepare the K1 visa interview, contact a lawyer, get a training
Thirdly, Apply for a Green Card through marriage I-485 form
You must be married within 90 days after entering the United States. If you do not get married within 90 days of entering the United States, your fiancé/fiance will lose your legal status. you can apply for a green card through the marriage I-485 form, immediately after entering the get married. If you apply for the I-485 form, you can also apply for the reentry permit I-131 form, and work permit I-765 form.
How long do you have to stay married after a K1 visa? You should get married to a U.S. citizen who sponsored your K1 visa. Otherwise, you should leave the country before your K1 visa expired. After you married, you should file Form I-485 to apply for a green card. If you divorce, you are not eligible for a green card.
I-485 application for a green card
1. Form I-485 (I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status);
2. Form I-864 financial guarantee form and the guarantor’s most recent federal tax return, W2 or 1099 form, the most recent two pay stubs or income certification documents;
3. Form I-131 Reentry Permit;
4. Form I-765 EAD work card;
5. Form G-1145;
6. A personal check or Money Order of $1225.00 (the fee will be different for different ages);
7. A copy of the citizen’s U.S. birth certificate, or a copy of the certificate of citizenship;
8. Copy of marriage certificate;
9. Copy fiance’s passport, K1 visa page, and entry stamp page;
10. Notarized birth certificate or birth medical certificate of the fiance;
11. The I-693 immigration medical report form of the fiance;
12. Six passport photos of the fiance.
if you need a lawyer, contact us
mail to USCIS
FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
131 South Dearborn, 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517
Mail your application to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
U.S. Postal Service (USPS) deliveries:
P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120
For more detail please check the USCIS address
Real successful case Example:
June 2018, file I-129F to apply to the USCIS
July 2018, received USCIS receipt I-797;
February 2019, approved by USCIS, and was transferred to the National Visa Center;
March 2019, received the case number from the National Visa Center;
April 2019, transfer to the local consulate;
In May 2019, apply for a non-immigrant visa DS-160 and pass the interview;
June 2019, arrived in the U.S., married that month;
July 2019, submit a green card application I-485;
August 2019, Received the I-797 application receipt for marriage green card from USCIS;
June 2020, Receive notice of marriage green card interview;
July 2020, the USCIS interviewed and passed
Two weeks later, in July 2020, a green card was received.